Sunday, March 17, 2013

Gluten-Free Irish Soda Bread

Happy St. Patricks Day!!!!

I have spent days looking for a healthier alternative to Irish Soda Bread for our St. Patricks Day meal today. 
I didn't find a darn thing so I had to create and cross my fingers on this one.  WOW!!  It worked and tasted amazing.  So here it is.  I didn't include rasins like the traditional one.  My husband and kids wouldn't eat it then and honestly not sure I would either.  Give it try.  I think this is something I would also make to serve with soup or use as the bread for brushetta insead of a baguette
.


2 1/4 cups gluten free flour ( I used Maninis Gluten Free Multi Purpose Flour Mix)
3/4 cups gluten free oats ( I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oats)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 Tbls ( 1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt ( I used Fage)

Preheat oven to 425F.  

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add the yogurt and stir to blend, forming a rough ball.  The dough will start rising as soon the baking soda comes in contact with the yogurt, so work quickly to form the dough.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently for about 30 seconds.  The dough should feel soft to the touch.  Flatten slightly into a 7-inch dome and sprinkle with flour, spreading the flour lightly over the surface.  Using a sharp knife, cut a shallow X in the loaf from one side to the other.

Transfer dough onto a baking sheet ( I used my pampered chef baking stone).  Bake until the loaf sounds hollow then tapped on the bottom, 30-35 mintues.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 
ENJOY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment